Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The north born are crazy

It was a windy day, I had a flight to take. Temperature bit above zero, slight snow fall.

I was coming back to Finland from mainland Europe; sad, anxious and slightly depressed.

Buckle up,  raise my seats, close my phone, look to my chubby seat neighbor with a smuck face; think to myself, welcome back to the land of people who pride themselves on being shy...

Then the pilot comes to the loudspeakers.

"Hello ladies and gentlemen (when will this be banned because it's sexist??), we will be proceeding take off procedures in five minutes. The time is 16.25, and in Helsinki we have 17.25. Our flight will take approximately two and a half hours. The weather in Helsinki is better than what we have here, an open sky and minus fifteen degrees."

He was not joking.

Only a person born in the north could claim open skies at minus fifteen is better than above zero with slight winds.

But I felt the same as him. The biting freshness of minus fifteen, the open blue sky; I smiled, I understood, and I was looking forward to it.

Even worse, this week am back on training everyday to warm up for the 20-squat program of the next two months, so no time in the eve except a cold shower, but on the weekend will be swimming in the frozen lake, which will be warmer than the weather.

Weather, minus fifteen, lake, zero to one. 

30 slow breaths. In the water.

Rebirth. 




No comments:

Post a Comment