Thursday, June 09, 2011

Smelly media: Deadly Vitamind D and The sun Kills

So at last,

Finnish Doctors Recommend More Vitamin D

Every year there is a flu scare making the rounds, and for three years I have only gotten more tired than usual, during the flu season.

I have been eating paleo, and have been taking Vitamin D, in good amounts.

It is march, and the number of days where there was sun in the last five months is less than 10.

And the short summer is not enough for the body to produce its Vitamin D, especially for a tanned person like me, using clothing when in public.

The strongest pill that can be found in Finland is 25 mcg, and that is 500% of the RDA.

What is 5mcg's you ask..

It is the minimal dose where someone does not get rickets.

It is like saying, the minimal amount of protein one shpould take per days is X gramms, as this is the amount where the person does not die in the following three months due to cannibalizing his own tissue.

(I am aware that protein absorption and retention may have more to do with intense activitiy that protein intake, this is just an example)


It was another flu season,

I was at a birthday.

Cakes, sugar, cookies, everything that I only eat occasionally, on a special event, were present in copious amounts.

Everyone was having a good time, but everyone was sick.

Except me.

So I told them,

"People, instead of taking the flu shot, take vitamin D"
One answered: "I am taking a pill"
"A pill is a joke. It is too low to have any effect. 25mcg is the strongest pill you can get, and that is 1000iu. You should aim for 5000 iu at least for the beginning"

A friend sitting beside me, a full box of candy on her lap, gorging on candy not piece by piece but handful by handful turns to me, mouth full of colorful candy, turns to me, and with an arrogant, unbelieving voice:

"EEEEEh. What about the overdose eh?"

What about the overdose?

You got to take bottle by bottle to risk and overdose....

See, wikipedia says there is a risk of overdosing vitamin D over continuous consumption of 100.000 ius daily, over months.

And it is a risk.

That is 100 pills a day, of the strongest kind.

I wish these people would first look at the immune system killers and neurotoxins - sugar, sweeteners, colorings, preservatives, glutamates - they are gorging on before arrogantly undermining my information on the immune system ammunition.

I gave her an answer, and I was satisfied with my answer.

The real answer though, is me still being able to train at close to full capacity when others are under sheets sweating with fever.


Later edit:

So this post was sitting on the draft box, when the dermatologists shouted out a related warning:

Dermatologist Warns Against Sunbathing

The promise of warm weather and the imminent summer are an irresistible call
to Finland’s sun worshippers.
Anyone who has been here through the winter knows the dread of the darkness.

They would understand why I have days when I try to get some sun on my balcony with a hat and gloves, wooly socks and thick pants, but topless at -15C.

However, at least one dermatologist is warning against the dangers of too much sunbathing.
This I actually agree. Our skin is not made to be cooked like a lobster.

But;


“Tanning is a thing of the sixties. If you don’t want to end up in a
dermatologist’s waiting room or undergo surgical procedures, then you’d do
well to avoid tanning. We see the results all too often on the
dermatological ward,” Snellman warned.
This I disagree with. People need the sun, lack of sunlight kills, unless you can eat kilos of cold ocean fish to get your sun from the food.

They see the results of lying under the sun till you fry;
What are the results of sunphobia though, they do not mention.

What if they were to advise people to try to take the sun for half an hour whenever possible, including the -10C March and April, so that the skin adjusts itself to the coming summer sun, and does not fry at the first sight of light?


The doctor noted that the ozone layer protecting us from the sun’s ultraviolet
rays has become much thinner, exposing us to harmful radiation.

Harmful radiation, radiation that we have been living under for hours no end, weeks no end for years no end, for hundreds of thousands of years, yes even the ancestors of these northern dwellers spent most of their time outside.

So today that radiation should kill us, even if most people do not even spend half an hour a day outside? Exception: The frying issue mentioned.


“I recommend that people who work or spend a lot of time outdoors protect
themselves from the sun. Protective creams can help, but sweat or swimming
can wash them off. It’s best to use headgear as well as long sleeved shirts
and trousers, if you plan to be out in the sun a lot,” the dermatologist
advised.
Actually this is my mistake, I had skipped the last sentence when I started my rant.

Yes he is right. Long sleeves and hats are the best way to protect yourself from the sun.

But suncreams?

When running from the harmful radiation,

Here is what people put on their skin, which is then absorbed into the body:

Example ingredient list:
Aqua/Water, Cyclohexasiloxane, Ethylhexyl salicylate, C12-15 Alkyl benzoate, Alcohol denat, Titanium dioxide, Bis-Ethylhexyloxyphenol methoxyphenyl triazine, Drometrizole trixiloxane, Octocrylene, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, glycerin, Diglycol/Chdm/Isophthalates, Sip Copolymer, Propylene Glycol, Ethylhexyl triazone,
Silica, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Glycine soja/ Soybean oil,
Isobutylparaben, Methylparaben, Pentasodium ethylenediamine
tetramethylene phosphanate, Phenoxyethanol, Polyacrylate-3,
Propylparaben, Terephthalylidene dicamphor sulfonic acid, Tocopherol, Triethanolamine.

Call me uninformed, ignorant, bigoted etc...

I do not want that list to be on my skin.

Long sleeved shirt + trained skin is the way to go.

Even if, to his credit, I agree some points this dermatologist makes;

I put the conventional dermatologists in the same bucket as conventional nutritionists:
Throw them out with the baby water.




No comments:

Post a Comment